Summer is here! And what a brilliant summer’s evening we had on Friday June 17 for the Tough Team Race. It was our first time hosting it since Covid first appeared and so many runners were delighted to be back! We had the largest ever turnout with over 200 runners challenged on our wonderful trails as well as fed and watered during and after the race.
This was truly a team effort to put on and I must pass on the thanks and praise of so many runners who I spoke with on the evening. I don’t think many would realise just what a small group of volunteers worked so hard to put this on, and your efforts made me feel very proud to be part of the club! So please can I say thankyou to all of you who took part in whatever role, before and during the night. Especial thanks to Emma for overall coordination and planning efforts, Kate, Mark and Rebecca for organising the kitchen, Christine and family on the cakes, and Rob C for planning the marshalling and signage.
This year our brilliant club have now planned and hosted 3 highly successful races – as well as our training runs twice a week, and many different individual exploits in cross-country, road, fell, triathlon, duathlon… I think it’s time to celebrate and relax!
With that in mind, here are some highlights of the next couple of months. All are welcome to all of these. I look forward to seeing many of you at as many of them as I can!:
– Friday 29th July: Sumer social at the Bear and Ragged Staff (Tattenhall).
See email and Facebook post from Sharon: price includes antipasto, pizza, drink and dessert.
After an unusual year without many of the standard races, this social will take the place of our awards ceremony for this year. I’m looking forward to spending time with you all and laughing/celebrating our running achievements (or otherwise!) of the last twelve months.
Please contact Sharon ASAP to reserve your place.
– Tuesday 5th July: introduction to the fells – A run for all abilities. Look out for more details from our run leaders soon. Put it in your diary and be ready to travel just over the border into North Wales together for some different terrain, great fun and super views (hopefully).
– 15th-17th July: weekend social in the Lake District. It is still possible to join in either for a full weekend or for a day, with a range of ages and abilities booked in, and activities planned from cycling to running to eating, there is something for everyone! Please email myself or Sharon if you would like to join in.
– Wednesday 20th July: the Green Green Grass of Home race, on Moel Famau – a local evening race in the club fell champs this year, short, fun, friendly and usually sunny with a pub at the finish!
– Thursday 4th August: Treasure Hunt! All runners and friends welcome for a friendly evening running challenge with pub-rendevous afterwards – more info to come nearer the time.
– Sunday 20th August: Rhydycroesau Fell Run (near Oswestry) – another short local race in the club fell champs.
Please do contact me if you have any queries about these events, or any suggestions for what you would like us to plan as a club.
With best wishes to you all for the summer ahead,